Thursday, July 4, 2013

Leslie's Latest...


It's been a busy week -  good but busy!! I continue to volunteer at the ACC as much as possible, and have made great friends there , both of the two legged and four legged variety. I typically try to hike on Sundays with the group and we do the Lind Point trail with the pooches. This week I was so happy to see our sweet friend Tracy, and her son Alex with us on the hike. Tracy was the person who allowed me to stay at her condo my first night on island, when I couldn't find our house, to make sure that I was not going to have a nightmare first night - so the hike was extra special for me since they were here!



Next up - Partners 4 Kids opened!! This is the comprehensive pediatric facility where I will be working, and things went off smoothly. Check it out at www.partners4kids.com  or the Facebook  page Partners 4Kids. It is a first for the islands and is  going to make a big difference for all of the VI kids!

I also created the Facebook page for my babysitting service. Go visit "Kids Night in Babysitting Service" and  "like" us!! Anyone who knows me, knows that I rely on Steve for all of my tech stuff, so I am proud that I set this page up by myself and that it is coming along so nicely.
 
I am also getting quite a few PM's from folks who love our blog- thank you!!! The two most often repeated refrains are; 
When will Steve be there? And...
Give us more day to day "info!"  

So...you asked for and you will get it!!

1. Steve?? I asked the same question when I went home in June for the short visit for work, reunion, and cuddle time. Response - "hopefully mid August after taking Jason back!"  (Editor's note: After many weeks of answering that same question with "As soon as possible" I decided a more definite response was necessary if this was ever going to get done, so August, here I come!)

2. Getting ready for Carnival. I did not know that the whole month before Carnival had activities. I have not gone to all of them, but have had a fun time at the ones that I've made it to. The Pan-a-Rama Steel Drum festival was at the beginning of the month and was great fun. What a talented bunch! 


Next up the food fair and coronation of the queen !! 


A lot of this food and drink is absolutely amazing, such as the conch and the cashew preserves. Some of it I will need to wait until next year to try. Steve will eat it for sure and, if I'm quick enough I may be able to persuade him to save me a little taste ( like mutton and curried Ox). 
The drinks were outrageously good and inexpensive but don't put a challenge in front of us girls...



Another highlight was the when the guy we were giggling about (entirely because of his shirt not his carefree dancing), targeted us as his dance partners/victims.  


Music by Cool Sessions and being with awesome friends was great! 




 I also fostered one of the ACC dogs this week for a few days. The ACC was overcrowded and it just gets crazy for people and dogs when that happens, so my little love, Patches, came home with me for two nights of tummy rubs, rooster chases, and the ever so popular kong treats! It's good for her and great for me to have someone in the house!!
 
What next? - I distributed over 180 flyers to villa management companies for Kids Night In. They sound excited and say it's a much needed service!

I decided to volunteer for two events for carnival - the children's festival, which just seemed appropriate, and  for the ST John Cancer Fund booth on actual Carnival day, July 4. But, of course, being St. John there are hoops to jump through. Such as... getting your food handlers card- ??  You wanted details - here's details. 

First you go to the clinic in Cruz Bay and get a cup and paperwork. Then you take your stool sample to Myrah Keating clinic with $25. In two days, you go back first thing in the morning and register at the first clinic and pay $30. Then you come back between 1-3:30 - no sooner, no later, to get your picture taken and you will get your food card - good for one year!! (Aren't you glad you asked for details and aren't you super glad there are no pictures of this process!?!) Oh, and one last thing - be sure your shoulders are covered or no picture - just wait 'til I write about the process of getting your drivers license!!

Using my phone as a "hotspot" for my internet connection really isn't working out so well, so I went to Innovative, where I met two lovely women who were intrigued by the Travon Martin case that they were watching (by intrigued  I mean distracted to the point where they occasionally screamed at the attorney on tv), but they were extremely pleasant. I left with a router box and will await a visit from Innovative to install jacks (no telling when).

As a reward for a week of good work, I met up with Tracy, Alex and other new friends at Maho for a bit. I was antsy for a snorkel as my last beach time was great - playing in kayaks with Tracy, but I had stayed above water that whole time. No one wanted to go with me so off I went - just me and my camera!  

The right side was like a baby nursery - five inch barracuda, six inch needlefish, butterfly fish the size of a nickel - NICE! Then I decided to head back and circle the center a little to maybe find a turtle or two. And what to my wondering eyes did appear, but the elegant eagle ray that had been avoiding me  for nine weeks! This beauty had the longest tail I have ever seen- (I am 5'3" and who knows what with fins, and his tail was longer than me!)
I got the privilege to hang with him for around 15 minutes took 50 pics and four videos ! Dove down and held my breath longer than I ever do, and was in a blissful state of mind !!! 







Oh yeah I saw the turtle too!



 And I cannot forget that our youngest  son, Jason, returned from China! So I talked to him for over an hour and Face Time 'd with all three of my favorite boys (four if you include Champ) and had the time of my life exchanging stories and letting them pick on me - just like old times!

'Til next time! XO
Leslie

1 comment:

  1. I'm still catching up, but loving your progress! And fun! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete