Friday, May 24, 2013

An update straight from the island girl herself...




Four weeks ago today, I became a USVI resident, more specifically a St Johnian! I will not lie, there have been some speed bumps along the way thus far, but this post is about all the positives I have accomplished in this first 672 hours on island!!

I must say I am proud of myself and think that we are getting prepped for a great life here!
In no particular order, I have:

  • driven three times on St. Thomas, one of them with no guidance!
  • conquered the car barge 
  • gotten my PT license signed, sealed, and delivered (along with liability insurance and every Internal Revenue Service paperwork needed)!!
  • found our house (which sounds silly, a huge deal when you're not sure where (or even "if") it is.
  • protected my house from bugs
  • became active in volunteering for or committing to be a local "go to person" in at least two things close to my heart- the ACC and Just Play 
  • started an island guest business called KIDS NIGHT IN Babysitting Services which hopefully by next month will be completely up and running!
  • have met  or seen many great people - some residents, some visitors, some new , some old , some for business and some for pleasure!
  • got us a Jeep! And I mean I negotiated it, got it insured, inspected and registered!
  • gotten some government people to laugh which I hear isn't always easy.
  • worked as a volunteer for Wagapooloza and hopefully brought in a few more donations than they would have had if I wasn't here. 
  • picked up my first hitchhikers while driving alone.
  • helped some deserted folks who couldn't find a taxi.
  • enjoyed the beach, both underwater as well as above.  
  • had a little bit of rum, but not ever too much!!
  • got to see Inner Visions and Melame Gange I got To See Steely Dan (minus 1) in an extremely small venue.  
  • got to hike with doggies! I gave Kenny Chesney's music a chance and I may be hooked. 
  • ran through seven inches of standing water ( after a crazy storm. )
  • cooked for myself and baked for others! 
  • fought the AT&T Internet war ( had a couple more drinks because of that drama). 


Things I have learned:

  • Loving someone doesn't change if you don’ t see them for four weeks! (Soon come baby!) 
  • Crying isn't always a bad thing. 
  • TV is overrated!
  • People are generally generous. 
  • Passion equals getting the job taken care of the right way!
  • And lastly, your kids can always make you feel like Wonder Woman even when you trip over your cape!!
XOXO to all of my friends and family

4 comments:

  1. Here's to you,Leslie! (I'm raising my Cruzan Coconut on the rocks with 2 lime wedges.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Leslie! You make us proud. I am so happy things are falling into place for you minus a few bumps and puddles. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big strides! Not the least of which "getting some government people to laugh" and giving "Kenny's music a chance" are two of my favorites! You've managed to accomplish so much and immerse yourself into island life as though you've always been there. You are building a great foundation for your dream! Now you know that you can have anything you want in this life, you just have to want it bad enough to dodge the "slings & arrows!" :)

    Margo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your attitude! Hope to meet you (y'all!) in August!

    ReplyDelete